Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It's about reading directions!

Like I said the other day, it's about reading the directions.

Here is the apple pie that I made, before baking and after. I love before and after pictures, don't you?


I can't take credit for the crust. I have tried, believe me. I am not a crust maker by any means, I use Pillsbury.


Now, it's been a number of years since I've made bread, and before we moved, we HAD a bread maker, but someone felt we wouldn't use it when we moved, so it didn't move with us, instead it went to Goodwill with TONS of other things.

Anyway, I kept my very good bread book with tons of recipes in it and I chose to make some buttermilk bread.

In a rush on Sunday morning, (need I say more) , I put the dry ingredients into the kitchenaid and put the liquids in the pot on the stove, got that to 120 degrees, added it to the dry, added more flour, and boy, it sure didn't look right, but I thought perhaps it was just me, miss rush. So I put it into the oven, a nice warm spot to rise, and it didn't rise. It was a cannon ball!


So, with the help of the bread book, I found out why it was a cannon ball, not enough liquid,,,, hmmmm

Go back to the page of the recipe and it was 1 cup of water, 3 Tbs of buttermilk powderAND another cup of water!!!

It was a slow process, but I was able to put the water into the mix and get it to the correct texture. I split it in two and was able to make two acceptable loaves of bread. Not quite as high and fluffy as it could have been, but it's been good just the same.


Here is my Squidge dishcloth that I am doing for the dishcloth weekly KAL on ravelry. It is actually last weeks pattern, and I am STILL working on it. But I am also working on my
Mr GreenJeans as well as my "exciting" project. I'll share a picture of the yarn cake I made tomorrow.

No comments: