1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? This is really a difficult question to answer. I have not knit with tons of yarn or fibers yet, so I don't really have a true favorite, but I love knitting with J. Knits mernio yarns. Any natural fiber or fiber blend. I like to purchase from Little Knits because they have good sales for trying things.
What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I knit with all kinds, however, I am allergic to cats and rabbits, so all angora is out for me.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? At the current time, I keep them all in a seal tight lid plastic container, my spare ones, if I am using them, they just travel with me.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I have not been knitting for very long, perhaps 10 years, however, I really began to learn and enjoy knitting about two years ago. Since then I have learned to knit socks and sweaters and tons of other things!
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I would like to think I am an intermediate, however, I believe you can't know everything and that you are always learning.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I will have to get back to this, I do have one on Amazon, and I would like to make another wish list. I tend to keep them in my head as I "window" shop.
5. What's your favorite scent? I love anything with sandlewood, but also like citrus.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Anything with chocolate, caramel and nuts.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I crochet, though I haven't done much in quite some time. I used to scrapbook, but have given my things to a dear friend. OH, and recently I started to reclaim yarn from thrift store sweaters.
Do you spin? No, and I don't really think I will learn this craft.
8. What kind of music do you like? I like mostly 80's music, but I listen to just about anything rock.
Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I don't really know to be honest.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? As far as colors, I love ocean related ones. Blues, greens, purples. I have also been drawn, lately to colors I had never really thought about before, such as tangerine and coral.
Any colors you just can't stand? I would say neon and black.
10. What is your family situation? I am married and we have one son.
Do you have any pets? We have one dog, who is our "four legged" boy. Spoiled nearly as much as our son!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I am currently seeking scarf patterns. I recently started working and need to dress conservatively and thought scarves would be a way to add a little bit to my outfits. I do wear hats in winter, but not for fashion. Mittens are always great, would love some that are also fingerless gloves with the mitten over top. I am a not very tall, so I haven't ventured for a poncho yet. This is the one nice thing that I love about knitting, I can make my clothes to fit me!
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I love to knit socks. Though, if you look at this blog, you will see I didn't get a pair done in May because of working on other things and because of now having a job, but I would say they are my favorite. Just too many yarn choices. Also, I love to knit felted bags. I feel as if I have been in a search, most of my life, for the perfect handbag. Making my own has helped alot, though I am still searching. I am currently carrying a Squatty Sidekick, that I lined, that is the near perfect size for me, now I just need to modify it a bit. There are tons of patterns in my queue.
13. What are you knitting right now? I am working on "Lace Ribbon Scarf" by Veronik Avery from the Knitty Spring 2008 issue. It is my second one. Though, it's not on my projects page. I recently started "Falling Water Lace Scarf" by Bonnie Sennott. I am using some J. Knits Superwash Me Sock in "Montana". I am really liking the way it is coming out.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I love handmade gifts. To me there is no other sign of friendship or love that says it all.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I have problems with my hands, wrists and elbows, and I have found straights are a problem, so I tend to use circulars for everything. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I have some in each, but have found that I really like the ones fom Knit Picks.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? My brother made me a simple swift, which has worked wonderfully, but I have no ball winder and have been searching for an inexpensive one.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? I would say two years. There is a scarf I started to learn how to do cables, and it is long enough for me, but it is still on the needles.
18. What is your favorite holiday? I don't really have one
19. Is there anything that you collect? yarn, yes, I could say yarn. I want to try new kinds, things I haven't tried before, so one skein is good. I say one skein because it is a good way to try out a new yarn to know if you are going to like it. With one skein, you can usually make something useful and fun without alot of expense.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? There are several patterns, Central Park Hoodie is one I can think of as far as patterns go. (There are some in my queue on Ravelry and in my favorites). Yarns, I would love to try are different sock yarns: Lisa Sousa for one, CherryTree Hill, Mountain colors. Any sock yarn other than Opal I guess. Though I do love Opal 6 ply. I don't have any solid color sock yarns and now that I am working a conservative job, I can't really wear the loud colors and stripes that I usually knit with. So some subtle handpainteds or some solid colors, but not black. I don't think the eyes could handle it.
What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None, I would LOVE interweave knits. I have been buying these as they come out since last fall, so any back issues from 2006 would be nice also.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I am slowly trying to learn how to do lace, but lace weight still intimidates me, so I have been trying with dk and fingering weight to learn. I am not sure that I will ever get below a size 2 needle. Even for socks in fingering weight I end up using a 2 because I do tend to knit tightly.
22. Are you a sock knitter? YES!
What are your foot measurements? I wear a size 7 shoe.
23. When is your birthday? December
24. Are you on Ravelry? Yes. If so, what's your ID? Knititall
I guess the only thing I would really add is that I am allergic to cats and rabbits, that nearly any kind of yarn (except maybe novelty, because I have tons of that in my stash already) in a natural fiber I would love to try knitting with. I am easy to please and I am looking forward to being a part of SP12