Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Knitting in Plain English"




This is a book written by Maggie Righetti that I picked up this week to help me with my knitting. As I mentioned, my Aunt taught me the basics a few years ago, and I do talk with her frequently while working on a project. I like to have a book handy to help me out though. This is a good reference book that I feel I will use in the future to help me with my projects.

I am working on my first sweater. It is a tunic from "25 Gorgeous Sweaters for the Brand New Knitter" by Catherine Ham. My Aunt gave this to me. I have shortened the tunic by about 3 inches, as I am short. And I have completed the back and the front, using circular needles to hold the neck stitches. I am currently working on the arm, which I am using the technique that Maggie mentions in her book that she calls "The Blind Stockinette-Stitch Increase". It is working out nicely, however, the book only mentions using this increase with the knit stitches and the pattern calls for the increase on every third row, so I have been trying it with the purl stitches as well and I am having varied success with it. But, I consider it all learning.

The yarn I am using is by Caron, called Simply Soft Shadow, in the Soft Merino colorway. It is the first time I am using this yarn, and I like it. It is an acrylic and I thought it would be good for a first project. One thing I have learned with it, is that is has a self striping to it, and so I have had to plan the back, front and sleeves, as well as the shoulders so that they match to some degree. I am happy with the result so far.




I have included a picture of the sleeve I have done this far so you could see how it looks. I especially like this ribbing. You work 4 knit rows first and the you do a knit row, followed by a knit one, purl one row for the effect. I think for a plain sweater it helps to add to the look of it. I am hoping that my finshing will be good and that I will be able to wear it and not just have it for a learning experience.
I have already decided on my next sweater. It will be a seamless raglan sleeve knit in one piece from the top down. I am looking forward to doing this one as I have heard from different people that once you make one like this you'll never make another.
Well, I think I have figured out this post for today. I had to retype it as I erased the first one accidently.

No comments: